Burr Oak Leaf

by Ruth Councell



As I was beginning to draw this leaf [above] in a botanical art class, the instructor said, "Pay attention to the central vein of the leaf. It is through that vein that the leaf gets its life from the tree. The whole structure of the leaf is built off of that vein."

When I saw the leaf in that way, the drawing came much more easily and naturally.

And it occurred to me that this was about more than drawing leaves.

It was a reminder to me that by paying attention to the source of life, everything else will flow from it.

Words and Image by Ruth Councell, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

laurel said...

Is that really a drawing? I thought it was a photograph. Inspiring words.

Anonymous said...

I really like your photography. I want to take my boys pictures sometime.trees for sale